About Me

My photo
Call me Keri. Most people can't pronounce my real name. This is an experimental game. It ends up the same. Try and rip a part of it and it'll sound sorta lame. Stop makin me tame and I'll join your train, but keep on actin I'll step on your fame. Woorrrddd.
Currently Reading: Nothing! Sorry but college doesn't leave much time for please reading.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sidekick Slide Review


The Suburbanite is going to get a little technological on you. Recently I caved in to the PDA craze and bought a Sidekick Slide. It has all the features of the Sidekick LX with a more compact design and sturdier slide monitor. I, coming from an ancient Sanyo (Sanwho?) flipphone and a service that drove my entire family batty (Sprint), was absolutely thrilled that I had the option to get a Sidekick at the great price of $49.99*.


My problems began.


First, I did not purchase the Data Service plan from TMobile, which limits the features that I use on my Sidekick. This problem was more of my fault; I was so eager to have the QWERTY keyboard I didn't think of the restrictions of not purchasing the Data Service. However, since I didn't buy the Data Service, everytime I turn my phone on the screen says "Waiting for Activation." In order to bypass this screen, I must press a button, which is a slight inconvienence, but one I was willing to live with.


Second, the phone is faulty. During the two-day cancelation from our Sprint service I perused the TMobile kiosks at the mall and looked at the different phones. Ironically, the day before I was to get my Sidekick Slide, a rather unfriendly tendant at a kiosk said that the Sidekick Slide is a piece of junk because "Motorola took over the design" and that "Motorola makes crap phones." What a lovely thing to say to a customer. -____-;; I got the phone the next day anyway.


After two days of having my Sidekick Slide something funny began to happen. Sometimes, when I would slide the monitor back into place all of my text messages, contact info, calendars, to do lists, and camera pictures would be deleted. After reentering all of my erased information, one slide of the screen would erase it all. I thought I had a defected device, so I called and made a switch to a completely new Sidekick Slide.


However, this Sidekick has done this very thing twice (thankfully it hasn't happened in about a week). I called TMobile again and realized it has been a problem with the phone! Maybe that unfriendly man at the kiosk was right; Motorola makes crap phones.


It's a shame. I am happy to have a QWERTY keyboard, but I feel like I am missing out on receiving picture messages, TZONES (I can't buy ringtones or new wallpaper), and email. I probably won't end up switching phones unless TMobile releases a non-Sidekick QWERTY phone. But I definitely don't recommend purchasing this product!


NOTICE: Wow. I just read an article that TMobile is going to switch out Sidekick Slide's for the Sidekick LX because of the terrible "data dump" problem.



I am calling to see what is up. If I can get a non-defective device I will repost. =]]]]]]

2 comments:

Gabriela said...

i had a sidekick slide! when all of my info would erase, all you have to do is turn off the phone, take out the battery, and leave it out for about a half hour. i don't knw if this works for all the phones or just mine. i ended up switching to a blackberry curve, which is amazing!amazing blog by the way, want to link?

Kkkeri said...

Ahhh really? I talked to TMobile and they are supposed to be switching my Slide for the LX. It's is a major device flaw; supposedly the sliding monitor jiggles the battery and causes the power to cut out.

I would love to link! ;]]